Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Netherlands captaincy will not change me, says Van Persie



The former Feyenoord star has insisted that he will remain true to himself and is optimistic about Holland's chances at the World Cup

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie says his new role as Netherlands captain will not change him as a player or person.

The prolific forward replaced Wesley Sneijder as Oranje's skipper earlier this summer and he's determined to show that he's worthy of the captain's armband.

"I feel really honoured and I'm very proud of it. I try to show everybody how I feel about being

captain," Van Persie told OnsOranje.

"Having said that, though, I have to stay true to myself as well. I will not start to behave differently all of a sudden because I'm skipper now."

The United attacker, 30, then went on to discuss Holland's chances at next summer's World Cup and insisted that they will be gunning for glory.

"Van Gaal is not the type of person to settle for second spot and neither are the players. You have to be realistic, though. We're talking about the best players in the world here. But we are aiming for the highest possible.

"There are a lot of good teams, but I believe that we can go far if everything goes our way. Nobody ever won anything without a bit of luck..."

Holland are currently preparing for Wednesday's international friendly against Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment