Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chelsea new-boy Schurrle: Don't compare me to Marin


The 22-year-old is determined to make a name for himself in the Premier League following his summer move from the Bundesliga, unlike his compatriot, who struggled for an impact

Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle is confident that he will be a hit in the Premier League, unlike countryman Marko Marin.

The 22-year-old, who joined from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, wants to avoid the ill-fortunes of his fellow German, who made only two Premier League starts in 2012-13 before moving to Sevilla on loan for the new campaign.

"I am Andre Schurrle and I don't

compare myself to others," the new Blue told Kicker. "I have my own qualities and enough confidence to say I feel strong enough to come out on top here. It is a great challenge but I am delighted that I took this chance." 

The German came on as a substitute to earn his 25th cap for his country on Wednesday, in a 3-3 draw with Paraguay. National coach Joachim Low had claimed that the forward's interntional career had lost its way but Schurrle is now hopeful for the future.

"[Low] also told me that and, looking at the figures, you could see it that way," he admitted. "I scored seven goals in my first 14 games for Germany and none in the last 11 but I think that, when I was subbed on, I was involved in some chances for us. My game has become safer, I also developed last season."

This is Schurrle's first taste of pre-season on a global scale after previously only training in central Europe following stints at Mainz and Leverkusen but Chelsea have taken in Asia and the USA over the summer.

The attacker marvelled: "It is a different world here. We have a huge squad with lots of great players. Everything is bigger and the pre-season is totally different from what I have got to know so far. We have only trained in London for four days."

With Hull City first up for Jose Mourinho's men, however, Schurrle is not expecting to be completely fit to see out a whole game just yet, confirming: ""The full 90 minutes will be hard for me right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment