Thursday, August 15, 2013

Skrtel ready to fight for Liverpool place



The centre-back, who has been the subject of interest from Napoli, is looking forward to competing with new signing Kolo Toure for a starting berth 

Martin Skrtel has welcomed the arrival of Kolo Toure at Liverpool and claimed that the competition will drive him to improve.

Cote d'Ivoire international Toure has given manager Brendan Rodgers a new option at centre-back for the coming season, with the retirement of Jamie Carragher.

Skrtel started 23 times for Liverpool in the Premier League last season and was recently the subject of interest from Napoli, but he is only focusing on securing a

starting place at Anfield.

"I think it's always good when there is competition for places and it's very important for your performance," he told the club's official website. "The manager will decide who is in the best form and start that player.

"I'll do my best and all I can to make sure that I'm the one he's going to be starting with.

"Kolo is a great player. He's a very experienced player and he has been playing in the Premier League for a while. He came in to play the same position as me, so we'll see who is going to start.

"Of course I will try to improve this season because I missed the second part of last season. I tried to do my best in the pre-season and show the manager I am able to play, so we'll see how it goes this season.

"I'm ready. I was ready before and I'll always be ready. Then it's up to the manager who is going to start. I will try and I will give my all to get into the team."

Skrtel has spent five and a half years at Anfield, making 143 appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment