Thursday, August 15, 2013

Jonathan Dos Santos admits he was near Barca exit door



After struggling to get minutes with the first team, Dos Santos admits he had his bags packed for Real Sociedad before Gerardo Martino's arrival. 

Barcelona’s 23-year-old Mexican midfielder Jonathan Dos Santos has cited Gerardo “Tata” Martino as the principle reason for remaining at the Catalan club this summer.

“I’ve stayed at Barca because of the trust “Tata” has shown, he wanted me to stay,” Dos Santos said in a press conference Thursday. “A player wants minutes and the change of coach was good for me.”

Dos Santos admitted that he had his bags packed for Real Sociedad before Tito Vilanova had to leave the Barca hot-seat because of a reoccurrence of his illness, which put the
club’s transfer business temporarily on hold.

“If there hadn’t been a change of coach, I was already at the Barcelona exit door,” stated Dos Santos. “I had an agreement with Real (Sociedad).”

In the season leading into the Brazil World Cup, Dos Santos knows he needs to be playing regularly with his club to earn a recall into the Mexico squad, something he says he is desperate to make happen.

“To go to the national team is about getting minutes firstly and showing myself,” he said. “I want to wear El Tri’s shirt again, which I haven’t done for some time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment