Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Van Ginkel eager to stake claim in Chelsea first-team place


The Netherlands Under-21s international, who joined from Vitesse this summer, wants to force his way into the starting XI under new boss Jose Mourinho

Chelsea new-boy Marco van Ginkel is determined to fight for a place in Jose Mourinho's first team following his summer switch to Stamford Bridge and has hailed the 50-year-old's management.

The 20-year-old, who became the Portuguese boss's second signing following his return to the west London outfit, has impressed during the club's pre-season fixtures.

And now Van Ginkel is planning to establish himself in the Chelsea first team for the new Premier League season, though acknowledges it will be difficult, and hopes that it could earn him a spot in Louis van Gaal's Netherlands squad for the

World Cup.

"From Vitesse to Chelsea is a big step,". "I will be playing games at a very high level and that will develop me as a player.

"I have confidence in my own qualities but no one knows for sure if they will start every game – even the more experienced guys.

"I was a starter during the last [friendly] games. When you play 60 or 70 minutes from the start every game, you know you're on the right track. I feel like I can keep up with everyone physically at Chelsea but I also want to show my football skills at the start of the season.

"I hope to play as much as possible this season, looking towards the World Cup in Brazil. I didn't personally talk to Louis van Gaal about the transfer but my desire to go to the World Cup obviously played a part in my decision to come here."

Van Ginkel is particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of playing under Mourinho and revealed that it was the Portuguese's desire to have him in his squad, rather than loan him out, that persuaded him to move to Stamford Bridge.

"Mourinho is a great manager. I can learn a lot from him, in terms of tactics and technique," the youngster continued.

"We spoke on the phone before I came to Chelsea and he said that I wouldn't be leaving on loan this season. He took my doubts about the transfer away. We had a good conversation. He gave me a good feeling about moving to Chelsea.

"He is a good man, with a sense of humour - that's really important in a group. With Mourinho you know you have a manager with a really big personality in charge. You can feel it when he gives speeches. Everybody likes it. He has something special."

No comments:

Post a Comment