Saturday, August 17, 2013

'Messi & Ronaldo scored more, but I won the treble' - Ribery



Ahead of the Uefa Player of the Year award being handed out, the Bayern Munich winger has criticised Thomas Muller's absence and talked up his own chances of winning

Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery has suggested that his treble success gives him the advantage over Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for Uefa's Player of the Year award.

On August 29, during the Champions League group stage draw, one of the trio will be crowned the best player in Europe for the 2012-13 season.

Although Ronaldo impressed with his individual displays for Real Madrid and Messi broke numerous goal records en route to another Barcelona triumph in

La Liga, the Frenchman believes his trophy haul last campaign boosts his chances of winning the award but criticised the absence of team-mate Thomas Muller as a frontrunner.

"My level was at the very top all season long, I've always been in shape and won everything that could be won," the 30-year-old told Sport Bild. "There are compelling arguments [in my favour].

"There are other top Bayern players missing from the nominees. Thomas Muller would have deserved to be among the finalists. It's a shame because he also had a great season.

"Messi and Cristiano have scored more goals than me, but I took the treble and, in these awards, titles are always important."

Ribery also spoke about how he chose not to join Barcelona five years ago, which he claims made Pep Guardiola's arrival at the Allianz Arena this summer all the more sweeter.

"In the 2008-09 season, I attempted to join [Eric] Abidal at Barca," he added. "It crossed my mind, but I had a contract here.

"I was fascinated by Pep Guardiola because, not only is he a great coach, he's a great person. So I was delighted when he signed for Bayern." 

No comments:

Post a Comment