Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lavezzi hopes Higuain can fire Napoli to Scudetto glory


The Paris Saint-Germain forward wants to see his international colleague make an instant impact at his former club as the new season approaches
Ezequiel Lavezzi has been impressed by Napoli's business in this summer’s transfer market and hopes the new arrivals in the squad can produce a Scudetto challenge.

Gonzalo Higuain, an Argentina international team-mate of Lavezzi, has been one of three former Real Madrid players to join Rafael Benitez’s new side this summer along with Raul Albiol and Jose Callejon, while Dries Mertens, Pablo Armero and goalkeepers Pepe Reina and Rafael will be around for 2013-14.

Lavezzi spent five seasons at Napoli, winning the Coppa Italia at the end of his final campaign in 2012 before joining Paris Saint-Germain, and he hopes Higuain can fire his former club to Serie A glory.

"Only time will tell if Napoli can fight for the title, but a lot of good players have arrived and they have a good team," the 28-year-old attacker told Sky Sport.

"Let us hope that the strength of the squad comes through in games.

"I’ve spoken a bit with Gonzalo - he’ll do his best there. I hope that he does better than I did at Napoli and that he is loved more than I was."

Carlos Tevez is another Argentine to have arrived in Italy this summer - joining champions Juventus - and Lavezzi expects both players to settle in well.

He added: "I hope both Higuain and Tevez do well. They are Argentine and it would be great if they both have good seasons, but I hope Gonzalo does better…

"I really liked living in Naples. It is a city that is similar to ones in Argentina. I didn’t find a great deal of difference when I arrived and I instantly settled."

Napoli begin their Serie A campaign with a home clash against Bologna on August 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment