Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dempsey shocked by speed of Tottenham exit


The ex-Fulham man has revealed he was planning for another season at White Hart Lane before the chance to join Seattle Sounders arrived, where he is hoping to make an impact
Clint Dempsey has revealed his shock at the speed of his departure from Tottenham to join Seattle Sounders.

The attacking midfielder only moved to Spurs last summer from Fulham and says he was preparing himself for another season under Andre Villas-Boas after notching 12 goals during 2012-13.

However, Dempsey stated Seattle Sounders "moved mountains" to get him to complete a £6 million move to the MLS and is excited to return to his

native country.

"I had two years left on my contract at Tottenham,” Dempsey told the Evening Standard. "To be honest with you, going back to pre-season, I thought I would be there [this season] but I guess it was just timing.

"The right situation came along. The MLS and the Seattle Sounders moved mountains to get me back and I wanted to come back when I could still do it. I didn’t want to come back when I was past it because I wanted to make an impact.

"I don’t know what my effect will be so we will just have to wait and see. I am looking forward to getting back and playing more of the style of football I fell in love with - the South American style, being more creative on the ball and having that little bit more freedom to try things."

No comments:

Post a Comment