Friday, August 2, 2013

Totti: Roma must offer deal


The 36-year-old is growing frustrated at the lack of progress on a possible new contract, while urging Daniele De Rossi to stay with the club
Francesco Totti has told Roma to offer him a new deal in a bid to end any uncertainty over his future.

The Giallorossi captain presented the club’s new kit to fans earlier this week, calling it ‘the last in a long line’ for him, with his contract set to expire this summer.

But while he insists his comments were not to be taken seriously, the 36-year-old has urged the club to move swiftly in extending his current deal.

“That was a joke, almost a game,” he told ESPN. “This is the last year of my contract, which is due to expire.

“I have nothing against the club, but if I had a two or three year contract, I would not have said those words.”

Totti met with club president James Pallotta this week in Kansas City to discuss keeping him in the Italian capital for the remainder of his career and he revealed his love for Roma means he has never considered moving elsewhere.

“If I feel good physically, I will continue to play. I have had a nice long career, but as time passes, things are happening quickly," he stated. “I’m happy with my career, although I am one that knows no limits. Sure, we could have won more trophies with Roma, including championships and cups, but unfortunately it did not happen.

“I’ve always been a fan of Rome and wearing this shirt has always been my ambition. Aside from the loyalty that I have shown, what prompted me to stay here is the love and passion for the club.”

The captain also had some words of advice for teammate Daniele De Rossi, whose future has also been the subject of much speculation.

“I hope that Daniele eventually does what I did. He is a key player for us, a top player that can change every game, in every moment,” Totti said.

No comments:

Post a Comment