Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gomez: I lost interest in titles at Bayern

Fiorentina striker Mario Gomez has revealed that he lost interest in winning titles with Bayern Munich and wanted to test himself in a new country.

The Germany international, 28, joined the Viola for an estimated €16 million this summer following a year plagued by an injury then being mostly benched as Bavarians romped to treble success under Jupp Heynckes.

Pep Guardiola's arrival did not change his situation and the forward has said that his departure from the Allianz Arena was down to a desire to learn a new language in Italy and try out football in Serie A.

"I hope everything goes well [at Fiorentina]," he told SID. "Maybe one year from now, we'll sit here and realise it was a

bad decision. But I expect it to work out.

"[Fiorentina] is exactly the kind of challenge that I've been looking for.

"I thought to myself: 'I can stick with Bayern, maybe sit on the bench for three years and win three more titles, or I can develop as a person and a player.'

"Of course it was tough to leave Bayern. But I envisioned playing in Italy since I was a child.

"Some people might not understand this, because they define themselves with winning titles. But maybe, towards the end of a career, it's nice to master a new language instead of winning more titles."

Gomez could get his first taste of competitive football with Fiorentina on August 22 - the first leg of the Europa League play-off round before the group stages of the competition - before his new side's Serie A campaign kicks off on August 25 at home to Catania

No comments:

Post a Comment