Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mourinho: I hope Ronaldo leads Real Madrid to La Liga title


After facing his former club for the first time since leaving earlier this year, Mourinho had nothing but positive words about the Spanish side and its star player
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho had kind words for his former club Real Madrid and star forward Cristiano Ronaldo, saying he hopes they win La Liga this season.

"I wish the best to Real Madrid," he said. "I have so many people that I like in the club starting with the president and finishing with the most simple and humble employees. I wish them very, very well and I'm happy that they're headed in the right direction and I have no problem saying I hope they win La Liga."

Mourinho, who left Real Madrid for Chelsea following last season, faced Los Blancos in the final of the Guinness International Champions Cup at Sun Life Stadium on Wednesday. Prior to the match, the outspoken coach ruffled feathers when he said Ronaldo wasn't "the real one" - referring to Brazil's Ronaldo.

The 28-year-old superstar responded by scoring a pair of goals - on a free kick in the first half and a header in the second - to help the Spanish side coast to a 3-1 victory for the tournament's title. Mourinho, however, said Ronaldo was just doing what he always does.

"He's a great player and he's scored goals his whole life," Mourinho said. "When he scores, it's not big news. When he doesn't score, it is big news."

Ronaldo celebrated both goals by hugging his teammates.

"In the last three year's he's celebrated so many goals and some of them we celebrated together, and that's what I keep in my career," Mourinho said. "I hope he celebrates a lot in La Liga and I hope he's helps Real Madrid to win the title back."

Mourinho can rest easy knowing he lost to Real Madrid in a summer match, but he would feel differently had he lost to the club he coached for three years in the Champions League.

"My former club plays in a competition than my competition - they play in La Liga and we play in the Premier [League]," Mourinho said. "I always wish good to my previous clubs, so it's not any different. A friendly doesn't count, but if you meet them in the Champions League and we lose, then that's a different story."

No comments:

Post a Comment