Monday, August 19, 2013

Valdes: Ancelotti wrong over Casillas



The Blaugrana shot-stopper was surprised the Spain No.1 was only named on the bench on Sunday.

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes believes Carlo Ancelotti was wrong to pick Diego Lopez over Iker Casillas for Real Madrid's opening day win over Betis.

Casillas had a hard time under former Blancos coach Jose Mourinho during the Portuguese's last season at the Santiago Bernabeu, which eventually resulted in the goalkeeper being benched for five months.

Lopez was brought in from Sevilla in January and was installed as the club's first choice keeper, a trend that continued on Sunday with

Casillas left out of the side and Valdes has admitted his astonishment at the decision.

"I was surprised that Casillas was a substitute," the 31-year-old told El Mundo Deportivo.

"At the Confederations Cup he did quite well after a difficult personal situation and months without playing.

"I've seen Iker do the impossible, for me he is the best,

"I'm surprised by this decision, but it's not my club and I have not much to say about that.

"But he is the best. I would like to see him play more, it's a challenge for me to face him."

Barcelona are currently preparing for their trip to Atletico Madrid on August 21, while Ancelotti's men will face Granada five days later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment