Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Phil Jones eyes center back role at Manchester United





The 21-year-old is happy to continue playing in whatever position in which he is needed for the time being but reiterates his desire to nail down a defensive berth eventually
Phil Jones wants to establish himself as a center back for Manchester United eventually but is content to play in any position for the time being.

The England international has proved a versatile asset for the Old Trafford club since joining from Blackburn Rovers in 2011, playing at full back and in midfield.



But the 21-year-old believes that he is best suited to playing in central defense and is keen to nail down a regular berth in the position later in his career.

"I have said from day one I see myself as a center back," Jones told the press. "But, if I am asked to play in midfield or at right-back, I am happy to do so. As long as I am in the team, it doesn't matter whether I am in goal.

"Of course, towards the middle and end of my career I will want to start cementing a place in a certain position but at the moment I am happy."

Jones featured at center back for United as it fell to a 3-2 preseason defeat to Yokohama F Marinos on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment